Eldon Square Bus Station, Newcastle upon Tyne
The winning submission in a nationwide design competition promoted by Newcastle City Council. This solution imaginatively addresses the brief for a refurbished bus concourse. By identifying untapped potential in adjacent areas, the bus station has been relocated into a much more attractive location, freeing up under-performing space for a new shopping mall. This new mall level generates considerable extra value and provides an important new pedestrian link through the city centre.
This project has since resulted in a further wider commission involving an extensive mall refurbishment throughout the existing shopping centre and a new 20 unit restaurant quarter.
- Client − intu Properties (Formerly Capital Shopping Centres) & Newcastle City Council
- Main Contractor − Sir Robert McAlpine
- Architect − CDA
- Structural Engineer − Cundall
- Services Engineer − Cundall
- Quantity Surveyor − Thornton Firkin
- Photography − © CDA
- Completion − 2008 / 2015 / 2016